Analysis of Crack Growth in the Wall of an Electrolyser Compartment
|Journal||Journal of Mechanical Engineering|
|Publisher||A. Pidhornyi Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
National Academy of Science of Ukraine
|ISSN||2709-2984 (Print), 2709-2992 (Online)|
|Issue||Vol. 23, no. 4, 2020 (December)|
|Cited by||J. of Mech. Eng., 2020, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 38-44|
Electrolysis units are widely used in different branches of industry. They are high-pressure tanks, each having a chamber and electrodes placed therein, which are arranged in assemblies, a cover as well as an inlet and outlet pipes. High requirements are imposed on their technical characteristics, confirming the urgency of the problem of improving calculation methods. To simulate the kinetics of the thermally stressed state in elements of power plants with complex rheological characteristics of the material and taking into account its damageability, a special technique and software complex have been developed on the basis of the finite element method, which allow solving a wide class of nonlinear nonstationary problems in a three-dimensional formulation with simultaneous consideration of all operating factors. The kinetics of the crack was studied using the method of calculating the survivability of structural elements, which is based on the principles of brittle fracture mechanics, while the plastic zone at the crack tip is assumed to be small compared to the crack size, and the crack kinetics is determined by the stress intensity factors at crack tips. The technique is based on calculating the kinetics of the crack to its critical dimensions, when an avalanche-like destruction of a structural element occurs, or a crack grows through the thickness of the element. The kinetics of a semi-elliptical crack emerging on the inner surface of the cell wall was studied under the action of static and cyclic loading. With the use of the developed technique, computational studies of the thermal stress state of the upper part of the electrolyser cell were carried out. The results obtained show that the cylindrical part of the cover is the most loaded. There have been carried out studies of the development of an internal surface semi-elliptical crack, which originated in this zone. It was found that with a small number of cycles per year, the crack will grow for a long time to a certain depth, then the rate of its growth from static loading will increase so quickly that the growth of the crack from cyclic loading can be neglected.
Keywords: electrolyser, hydrogenation, stress-strain state, medium, crack.
Full text: Download in PDF
- Solovei, V. V., Kotenko, A. L., Vorobiova, I. O., Shevchenko A. A., & Zipunnikov, M. M. (2018). Basic operation principles and control algorithm for a high-pressure membrane-less electrolyser. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 57–63. https://doi.org/10.15407/pmach2018.04.057.
- Tarzimoghadam, Z., Ponge, D., Klower, J., & Raabe, D. (2017). Hydrogen-assisted failure in Ni-based superalloy 718 studied under in situ hydrogen charging: the role of localized deformation in crack propagation. Acta Materialia, vol. 128, pp. 365–374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2017.02.059.
- Ivaskevich, L. M., Balitskii, A. I., & Mochulskyi, V. M. (2012). Influence of hydrogen on the static crack resistance of refractory steels. Materials Science, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 345–354. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11003-012-9512-z.
- Balitskii, А. I., Semerak, M. M., Balitska, V. А., Subota, A. V., Eliasz, Ya., & Vus, О. B. (2013). Strength properties change of hydrogen cylinders at power generating units of power plant for continuous operation. Fire safety, vol. 23, pp. 20–28.
- Balitskii, A. I. & Ivaskevich, L. M. (2018). Assessment of hydrogen embrittlement in high-alloy chromium-nickel steels and alloys in hydrogen at high pressures and temperatures. Strength of Materials, vol. 50, pp 880–887. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-019-00035-2.
- Dmytrakh, I. M., Leshchak, R. L., Syrotyuk, A. M., & Barna, R. A. (2017). Effect of hydrogen concentration on fatigue crack growth behavior in pipeline steel. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 42, iss. 9, pp. 6401–6408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.11.193.
- Ovchinnikov, I. I. & Ovchinnikov, I. G. (2012). Vliyaniye vodorodosoderzhashchey sredy pri vysokikh temperaturakh i davleniyakh na povedeniye metallov i konstruktsiy iz nikh [Effect of hydrogen-containing environment at high temperature and pressure on the behavior of metals and structures]. Naukovedeniye – Eurasian Scientific Journal, no. 4, pp. 1–28 (in Russian).
- Shulzhenko, N. G., Gontarovskiy, P. P., & Zaytsev, B. F. (2011). Zadachi termoprochnosti, vibrodiagnostiki i resursa energoagregatov (modeli, metody, rezultaty issledovaniy) [Problems of thermal strength, vibrodiagnostics and resource of power units (models, methods, results of research)]. Saarbrücken, Germany: LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG, 370 p. (in Russian).
- Shul’zhenko, M. G., Gontarovskyi, P. P., Garmash, N. G., & Melezhyk, I. I. (2010). Thermostressed state and crack growth resistance or rotors of the NPP turbine K-1000-60/1500. Strength of Materials, vol. 42, pp. 114–119. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-010-9197-1.
- Shulzhenko, M. H., Hontarovskyi, P. P., Matiukhin, Yu. I., Melezhyk, I. I., & Pozhydaiev, O. V. (2011). Vyznachennia rozrakhunkovoho resursu ta otsinka zhyvuchosti rotoriv i korpusnykh detalei turbin. [Determination of estimated resource and evaluation of rotor life and body parts of turbines: Methodological guidelines. Regulatory document SOU-N MEV 0.1–21677681–52:2011: approved by the Ministry of Energy and Coal Mining of Ukraine: effective as of 07.07.11. Kyiv: Ministry of Energy and Coal Mining of Ukraine (in Ukrainian).
- Ovchinnikov, A. V. (1988). An interpolation method of calculation of stress intensity factors. Strength of Materials, vol. 20, pp. 710–717. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01530081.
- (1995). Pravila sostavleniya raschotnykh skhem i opredeleniye parametrov nagruzhennosti elementov konstruktsiy s vyyavlennymi defektami [Rules for drawing up design schemes and determining the parameters of loading of structural elements with identified defects]: The Guidelines No. MR 125-02-95. Moscow: CNIITMASH, 52 p. (in Russian).
- Cherepanov, G. P. (1979). Mechanics of Brittle Fracture. New York; London: McGraw-Hill.
- Balytskyi, O. I., Makhnenko, O. V., Balytskyi, O. O., Hrabovskyi, V. A., Zaverbnyi, D. M., & Timofieiev B. T. (2005). Mekhanika ruinuvannia i mitsnist materialiv [Mechanics of fracture and strength of materials]: The reference guide. T. 8. Mitsnist materialiv i dovhovichnist elementiv konstruktsii atomnykh elektrostantsii [Vol. 8. Strength of materials and durability of structural elements of nuclear power plants]. Kyiv: Akademperiodyka Publishing House, 534 p. (in Ukrainian).
Received 28 August 2020
Published 30 December 2020