|Journal||Journal of Mechanical Engineering|
|Publisher||A. Podgorny Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
National Academy of Science of Ukraine
|ISSN||0131-2928 (Print), 2411-0779 (Online)|
|Issue||Vol. 21, no. 4, 2018 (December)|
|Cited by||J. of Mech. Eng., 2018, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 57-63|
Anatolii L. Kotenko, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharsky str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine)
Iryna O. Vorobiova, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharsky str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine)
Andrii A. Shevchenko, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharsky str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine)
Mykola M. Zipunnikov, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharsky str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine), ORCID: 0000-0002-0579-2962
A technology of the cyclic generation of hydrogen and high-pressure oxygen, implemented in a single-module and multi-module electrolysis installation, is considered. A schematic operation diagram for implementing the method with four series-connected modules is given. During the cyclic supply of alternating potentials to the active and passive electrodes to obtain each of the gases separately in time while the other gas is being simultaneously and reversibly absorbed by the active electrode, the process can be carried out with both single-module and multi-module circuits series-connected to an electrical circuit and either separate modules or electrolyzer blocks removed (by shunting) from the electrical circuit without interrupting the process of producing gases with the optimal regulation of gas productivity under the conditions of the technological process. This makes it possible to realize the operation of an electrolysis installation with low current loads, reducing the risk of electrical breakdowns inside electrolyser modules. A four-module electrolysis installation control algorithm is described. The optimal parameters for regulating the performance of gases are determined according to the requirements of the technological process. An analysis of the cyclogram of hydrogen and oxygen generation with the limitation of the reaction voltage from 0.5 to 1.8 V has been carried out. The range of operating temperatures of the developed electrolysis process is in the range from 280 to 423 K, and the pressure range is 0.1 to 70 MPa. The dependence of the volt-ampere characteristics of a high-pressure electrolyzer power supply system on the number of series-connected modules of a given performance is given. The optimal regulation of gas performance on demand of the technological process or in cases of removing individual modules from the electrical circuit without interrupting the process of generating gases has been carried out by controlling the amount of current in the electrical system according to inversely proportional dependence from the number of connected modules. The appearance of an electrode assembly design using a gas absorption electrode is considered. Recommendations for implementing an electrolysis installation operation with low current loads and reducing the risk of electrical breakdowns inside electrolyzer modules are indicated.
Keywords: electrolyzer, gas absorption electrode, hydrogen, oxygen
Full text: Download in PDF
- Solovey, V. V., Zhirov, A. S., & Shevchenko, A. A. (2003). Vliyaniye rezhimnykh faktorov na effektivnost elektrolizera vysokogo davleniya [Influence of regime factors on the efficiency of a high-pressure electrolyzer]. Sovershenstvovaniye turboustanovok metodami matematicheskogo i fizicheskogo modelirovaniya – Improvement of turbines using mathematical and physical modeling methods: Collection of scientific works. Kharkov, pp. 250–254 (in Russian).
- Solovey, V. V., Shevchenko, A. A., Vorobyeva, I. A., Semikin, V. M., & Koversun, S. A. (2008). Povysheniye effektivnosti protsessa generatsii vodoroda v elektrolizerakh s gazopogloshchayushchim elektrodom [Enhancing the efficiency of the process of generating hydrogen in electrolyzers with a gas-absorbing electrode]. Vestn. Kharkov. nats. avtomob.-dor. un–ta − Bulletin of Kharkov National Automobile and Highway University, no. 43, pp. 69–72 (in Russian).
- Shevchenko, A. A. (1999). Ispolzovaniye ELAELov v avtonomnykh energoustanovkakh, kharakterizuyushchikhsya neravnomernostyu energopostupleniya [The use of ELAELs in autonomous power plants characterized by uneven energy supply]. Aviats.-kosm.tekhnika i tekhnologiya − Aerospace Technic and Technology, iss. 13, pp. 111–116 (in Russian).
- Solovey, V. V., Zipunnikov, N. N., & Shevchenko, A. A. (2015). Issledovaniye effektivnosti elektrodnykh materialov v elektroliznykh sistemakh s razdelnym tsiklom generatsii gazov [Investigation of the effectiveness of electrode materials in electrolysis systems with a separate gas generation cycle]. Problemy Mashinostroyeniya – Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 72–76 (in Russian).
- Solovey, V. V., Kozak, L., Shevchenko, A., Zipunnikov, M., Campbell, R., & Seamon, F. (2017). Hydrogen technology of energy storage making use of wind power potential. Problemy Mashinostroyeniya – Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 62–68. https://doi.org/10.15407/pmach2017.01.062
- Vorobyeva, I. A., Shevchenko, A. A., & Zipunnikov, N. N. (2018). Eksergeticheskiy analiz elektrokhimicheskikh sistem generatsii vodoroda vysokogo davleniya [Exergy analysis of electrochemical systems for the generation of high-pressure hydrogen]. Information technologies: Science, Engineering, Technology, Safety and Health: Proceedings of the XXVI International Scientific-Practical Conference, Kharkiv, 16–18 May 2018, part 2, pp. 232 (in Russian).
- Vorobyeva, I. A., Shevchenko, A. A., Zipunnikov, N. N., & Kotenko, A. L.(2018). Ispolzovaniye vetroenergeticheskikh kompleksov v infrastrukture vodorodnoy energetiki [The use of wind power complexes in the infrastructure of hydrogen energy]. Information technologies: Science, Engineering, Technology, Safety and Health: Proceedings of the XXVI International Scientific-Practical Conference, Kharkiv, 16–18 May 2018, part 2, pp. 330 (in Russian).
- Solovey, V., Zipunnikov, N., Shevchenko, A., Vorobjova, I., & Kotenko, A. (2018). Energy effective membrane-less technology for high pressure hydrogen electro-chemical generation. French-Ukrainian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 151–156. https://doi.org/10.17721/fujcV6I1P151-156
- Bukhkalo, S. I., Zipunnikov, M. M., & Kotenko, A. L. (2017). Osoblyvosti protsesiv otrymannia vodniu z vody. [Features of the processes of hydrogen from water]. Information technologies: Science, Engineering, Technology, Safety and Health: Proceedings of the XXV International Scientific-Practical Conference, Kharkiv, 17–19 May 2017, part 3, pp. 28 (in Ukrainian).
- Yakimenko, L. M., Modylevskaya, I. D., & Tkachek, Z. A. (1970). Elektroliz vody [Electrolysis of water]. Moscow: Khimiya, 264 p. (in Russian).
- Rotinyan, A. L. (Ed.) (1974). Prikladnaya elektrokhimiya: 3-ye izd [Electrolysis of water: 3 edition]. Moscow: Khimiya, 536 p. (in Russian).
Received 16 August 2018