|Journal||Journal of Mechanical Engineering – Problemy Mashynobuduvannia|
|Publisher||A. Podgorny Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
National Academy of Science of Ukraine
|ISSN||0131-2928 (Print), 2411-0779 (Online)|
|Issue||Vol. 22, no. 2, 2019 (June)|
|Cited by||J. of Mech. Eng., 2019, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 70-75|
Andrii M. Avramenko, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharskyi Str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0003-1993-6311
Anton M. Lievtierov, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharskyi Str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine), e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0001-5308-1375
Valerii M. Bhantsev, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharskyi Str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine), ORCID: 0000-0003-0661-1040
Nataliia Yu. Hladkova, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharskyi Str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine), ORCID: 0000-0002-8043-4890
Vira M. Kirieieva, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharskyi Str., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine), ORCID: 0000-0002-7532-1760
The problem of environmental degradation in megapolises, particularly because of the toxicity of the exhaust gases of transport engines, requires an integrated solution. The peculiarity of the processes of mixture formation and combustion in diesel engines is the presence of local areas, rich in fuel or air. This results in in-complete diesel fuel combustion and contributes to the formation of toxic and mutagenic-carcinogenic compounds. Exhaust gases from diesel engines contain solid particles (SPs) that, due to their developed surface, are carriers of mutagenic-carcinogenic compounds. A very important factor affecting the com-pleteness of fuel combustion in the cylinder of an internal combustion engine (ICE) is the intensive heat exchange between the walls of the combustion chamber and the working fluid. As a result, a relatively cold gas wall layer occurs. In this layer, the unburned hydrocarbons CnHm reside, and SPs are formed. The mi-croaddition of hydrogen to the incoming charge makes it possible to significantly reduce the thickness of the “cold” layer due to the intensification of the combus-tion process in the ICE cylinder and near-wall areas. The generation and use of hydrogen, on board a vehicle, as a microaddition to normal engine fuel is justified as follows. First, the activation of combustion processes in the engine cylinder and, accordingly, fuel combustion completeness increase, which helps reduce the level of mass emissions of SPs and unburned hydrocarbons with the exhaust gases from ICEs. Secondly, such an approach makes it possible to reduce the level of load on the regular exhaust gas neutralization systems of modern vehicle engines, and increase the reliability of their work and their resource. The design of the on-board small-size electrolyzer and its control algorithm are developed. Compre-hensive motor studies of the influence of hydrogen microadditions to diesel fuel on the effective 1Ch 8.5 / 11 diesel engine performance and the toxicity of its exhaust gases were carried out. Experimental studies show that with hydrogen microaddi-tions, owing to an increase in fuel reactivity and combustion completeness, carbon monoxide emissions and smoking at the exhaust are reduced by 5–6% and 20%, respectively, with practically no unburned hydrocarbons present. The use of the proposed design and algorithm of the on-board electrolyzer operation will signifi-cantly reduce the level of toxicity of the exhaust gases from vehicle ICEs with minimal energy consumption for the functioning of the system.
Keywords: on-board electrolyzer, hydrogen, micro-additions, diesel engine, environmental indicators.
Full text: Download in PDF
- Podgornyy, A. N. (1978). Vodorod – toplivo budushchego [Hydrogen, the fuel of the future]. Kiyev: Naukova dumka, 133 p. (in Russian).
- Podgornyy, A. N., Varshavskiy, I. L., & Priymak, A. I. Vodorod i energetika [Hydrogen and energy]. Kiyev: Naukova dumka, 144 p. (in Russian).
- Solovey, V. , Zipunnikov, M., Shevchenko, A., Vorobjova, I., & Kotenko, A. (2018). Energy effective membrane-less technology for high pressure hydrogen electro-chemical generation. French-Ukrainian J. Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 151–156. https://doi.org/10.17721/fujcV6I1P151-156
- Solovey, V., Nguyen Tien Khiem, Zipunnikov, M., Shevchenko, A. (2018). Improvement of the membrane – less electrolysis technology for hydrogen and oxygen generation. French-Ukrainian J. Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 73–79. https://doi.org/10.17721/fujcV6I2P73-79
- URL: https://www.ronnmotorgroup.com/
- URL: https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/2/16/16926950/hydrogen-fuel-technology-economy-hytech-storage
- Fomin, V. M. & Platunov, A. S. (2011). Vodorod kak khimicheskiy reagent dlya sovershenstvovaniya pokazateley raboty avtomobilnogo dvigatelya s NVB [Hydrogen as a chemical reagent for improving the performance of an automobile engine with GDI]. Transport na alternativnom toplive – Alternative Fuel Transport, no. 4 (22), pp. 30–39 (in Russian).
- Pevnev, N. G. & Ponamarchuk, V. V. (2015). Analiz svoystv vodoroda s tselyu vozmozhnosti yego primeneniya v kachestve dobavki k osnovnomu toplivu [Analysis of the properties of hydrogen with the aim of its possible use as an addition to the main fuel]. In Progressive technologies in transport systems. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the XII International Scientific and Practical Conference. Orenburgb: Orenburg State University, pp. 304–309 (in Russian).
- Peretrukhin, S. F., Brizitskiy, O. F., Kirillov, V. A., Kuzin, N. A., & Kozlov, S. I. (2010). Bortovoy generator sintez-gaza dlya DVS s iskrovym zazhiganiyem [An onboard synthesis gas generator for spark ignition internal combustion engines]. Transport na alternativnom toplive – Alternative Fuel Transport, no. 5 (17), pp. 68–74 (in Russian).
- Matskerle, Yu., Ivanova, V. B., & Benediktova, A. R. (1987). Sovremennyy ekonomichnyy avtomobil [The modern economical car]. Moscow: Mashinostroyeniye, 320 p. (in Russian).
- Smolenskaya, N. M., Smolenskiy, V. V., & Shaykin, A. P. (2009). Vliyaniye dobavki vodoroda na protsess goreniya v benzinovykh dvigatelyakh s iskrovym zazhiganiyem [Influence of the addition of hydrogen on the combustion process in gasoline engines with spark ignition]. In Progress of vehicles and systems. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the IV International Scientific Conference. Volgograd: Volgograd State Technical University, pp. 247–248 (in Russian).
- Gilchrist, S. & Rand, T. (2019). Hydrogen fuel injection to improve engine efficiency the practical beginning of the hydrogen economy. Canada: Canadian Hydrogen Energy Company, 15 p. URL: http://nha.confex.com/nha/2007/recordingredirect.cgi/id/196 (Accessed: 30.05.2019).
- Vodorod, kak prisadka k standartnomu toplivu DVS. Prosto dobav vody [Hydrogen, as an additive to standard engine fuel. Just add water]. Avtomobil’noye i gazovoye oborudovaniye – Automotive and gas equipment: official website, URL: http://carscomfort.ru/dvs/vodorod-v-dvs.html (Accessed: 30.05.2019) (in Russian).
- Kudryash, A. P., Marakhovskiy, V. P., & Kaydalov, A. A. (1989). Teoreticheskiye i eksperimentalnyye issledovaniya sgoraniya vodoroda v dizele [Theoretical and Experimental Studies of the Combustion of Hydrogen in a Diesel Engine]. Voprosy atomnoy tekhniki i tekhnologii. Seriya yadernaya tekhnika i tekhnologii – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear technology and technology, 2, pp. 48–50 (in Russian).
- Marakhovskiy, V. P. & Kaydalov A. A. (1992). Vodorodnyy dizel [Hydrogen diesel]. Avtomobilnaya promyshlennost – Automotive industry, no. 2, pp. 17–19 (in Russian).
Received 12 March 2019
Published 30 June 2019