|Journal||Journal of Mechanical Engineering – Problemy Mashynobuduvannia|
|Publisher||A. Pidhornyi Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
National Academy of Science of Ukraine
|ISSN||2709-2984 (Print), 2709-2992 (Online)|
|Issue||Vol. 24, no. 1, 2021 (March)|
|Cited by||J. of Mech. Eng., 2021, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 58-64|
Heorhii V. Filatov, State Higher Educational Institution “Ukrainian State University of Chemical Technology” (8, Haharina St., Dnipro, 49005, Ukraine), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0003-4526-1557
This paper discusses the application of the random search method for the optimal design of single-layered reinforced cylindrical shells operating in a neutral environment. When setting a mathematical programming problem, the minimum shell weight is considered as an objective function. The critical stresses are determined according to the linear theory in the elastic region of the material. As the constraints imposed on the feasible region, the constraints on the strength, general buckling and partial buckling of a shell are accepted. The aim of this paper is to study the weight efficiency of various types of shell reinforcements and the influence of an optimum-weight shell on the parameters of an axially-compressed one. A numerical experiment was carried out. Dependencies of shell weight, wall thickness, and reinforcement parameters on the magnitude of a compressive load were investigated for shells with different types of reinforcement. As a result of the numerical experiment performed, it was found that with an increase in compressive load magnitude, there is a tendency to an increase in the wall thickness of an optimal shell, with an increase in the thickness of longitudinal stiffeners (stringers) and a slight decrease in the number of ribs. In addition, it should be noted that the general case of buckling and the first special one turned out to be decisive in choosing optimal shell parameters.
Keywords: reinforced cylindrical shell, optimal design, random search method.
Full text: Download in PDF
- Palchevskii, A. S. (1966). Analysis of cylindrical minimum weight shells provided with stringers under axial compression. Soviet Applied Mechanics, vol. 2, pp. 23–26. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00885226.
- Riedel, J. (1998). Genetik als alternative Optimierungsstrategies 4. Institutskollo-quium, Bauhaus – Universität Weimar: Bericht 3/98, Institut für Strukturmechanik. – Weimar: Bauhaus – Universität, pp. 19–33.
- Rastrigin, D. A. (1968). Statisticheskiye metody poiska [Statistical search methods]. Moscow: Nauka, 376 p. (in Russian).
- Filatov, G. V. (2000). Stokhasticheskiy metod poiska globalnogo ekstremuma funktsii s upravlyayemymi granitsami intervala optimiziruyemykh parametrov [Stochastic method for finding the global extremum of a function with controllable boundaries of the interval of the optimized parameters]. Voprosy khimii i khimicheskoy tekhnologii – Issues of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, no. 1, pp. 334–338 (in Russian).
- Amiro, I. Ya. (1960). Doslidzhennia stiikosti rebrystoi tsylindrychnoi obolonky pry pozdovzhnomu stysku [Investigation of the stability of the ribbed cylindrical shell under longitudinal compression]. Prykladna mekhanika – Applied Mechanics, vol. IV, iss. 3, pp. 16–23 (in Ukrainian).
Received 23 March 2020
Published 30 March 2021