|Journal||Journal of Mechanical Engineering – Problemy Mashynobuduvannia|
|Publisher||A. Pidhornyi Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
National Academy of Science of Ukraine
|ISSN||2709-2984 (Print), 2709-2992 (Online)|
|Issue||Vol. 24, no. 3, 2021 (September)|
|Cited by||J. of Mech. Eng., 2021, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 27-34|
The safety of reliable operation of aircraft and their durability essentially depend on the strength of the glazing, which is a critical structural element. There are a number of different requirements for glazing. To provide the necessary parameters, high-strength silicate glass is widely used, and special technologies for its strengthening are used. The analysis of the problem showed that the insufficient strength of aircraft glazing elements and the complexity of methods for monitoring the state of glass during production and operation due to the presence of microscopic surface defects, as well as the need for a reliable assessment of residual stresses, require that there be used new approaches and technical solutions for the development of modern technologies for creating structures. Ion exchange is one of the glass strengthening mechanisms, which makes it possible to reduce the negative effect of surface defects by artificially creating residual compressive stresses and reducing the thickness of the damaged layer. Computational studies, under bending strains, of the crack resistance of ion-exchange strengthened sheet glass were carried out using an in-house FEM-based software package developed to study the thermally stressed states of structures. The results obtained showed that the strength of real sheet glass fracture due to tensile stresses in bending is determined by crack-like surface defects. The creation of residual compressive stresses on the glass surface by ion exchange strengthening provides an increase in bending strength. With an increase in residual stresses and the depth of their distribution, the effect of ion-exchange treatment increases. If the depth of the zone of compressive stresses due to ion-exchange strengthening is much less than the depth of the surface crack, then the strength of the glass depends little on the maximum compressive stresses on the surface. The effect of ion-exchange strengthening increases significantly in the case of a decrease in the depth of the surface crack. The expediency of further research and comparison of calculation results with experimental data are shown. The developed technique will make it possible to solve important practical problems in studying the strength of the aircraft multilayer glazing and determining the optimal methods for eliminating defects.
Keywords: aircraft, silicate glass, stress state, strength, residual stress, ion exchange, surface layer defects.
Full text: Download in PDF
- Smetankina, N. V. & Uhrimov, S. V. (2019). Analiz mitsnosti bahatosharovoho osklinnia litalnykh aparativ pry vysokoshvydkisnomu udarnomu navantazhenni [Analysis of strength of multilayer glazing of aircraft at high-speed impact loading]. Prykladni pytannia matematychnoho modeliuvannia – Applied Questions of Mathematical Modeling, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 112–122 (in Ukrainian).
- Rodichev, Y. M., Smetankina, N. V., Shupikov, O. M., & Ugrimov, S. V. (2018). Stress-strain assessment for laminated aircraft cockpit windows at static and dynamic load. Strength of Materials, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 868–873. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-019-00033-4.
- Smetankina, N. V., Uhrimov, S. V., & Shupikov, O. M. (2015). Modeliuvannia vidhuku bahatosharovoho osklinnia na statychne i dynamichne navantazhennia [Simulation of multilayer glazing response to static and dynamic loads]. Visnyk Kharkivskoho natsionalnoho universytet imeni V.N. Karazina. Ser. “Matematychne modeliuvannia. Informatsiini tekhnolohii. Avtomatyzovani systemy upravlinnia” – Bulletin of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Series: “Mathematical modeling. Information technology. Automated control systems”, vol. 27, pp. 150–156 (in Ukrainian).
- Smetankina, N. V., Shupikov, O. M., & Uhrimov, S. V. (2016). Matematychne modeliuvannia protsesu nestatsionarnoho deformuvannia bahatosharovoho osklinnia pry rozpodilenykh ta lokalizovanykh sylovykh navantazhenniakh [Mathematical modeling of nonstationary deformation process of multilayer glazing at distributed and localized loadings]. Vestnyk Khersonskoho natsyonalnoho tekhnycheskoho unyversyteta – Visnyk of Kherson National Technical University, iss. 3 (58), pp. 408–413 (in Ukrainian).
- Veer, F. A. & Rodichev, Yu. M. (2009). Glass failure, science fiction, science fact and hypothesis. Glass Performance Days: 11th International Conference on Architectural and Automotive Glass, Tampere, Finland, 12–15 June 2009, pp. 819–823.
- Mognato, Е., Schiavonato, М., Barbieri, А., & Pittoni, М. (2016). Process influences on mechanical strength of chemical strengthened glass. Glass Structures and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 247–260. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40940-016-0019-0.
- Bos, F. (2010). The integrated approach to structural glass safety applied to glass beams. Challenging Glass 2: Conference on Architectural and Structural Applications of Glass, Delft, Nederland, 20–21 May 2010, pp. 297–308. https://doi.org/10.7480/cgc.2.2415.
- Bartenev, G. M. (1974). Sverkhprochnyye i vysokoprochnyye neorganicheskiye stekla [Superstrong and high-strength inorganic glasses]. Moscow: Stroyizdat, 240 p. (in Russian).
- Rodichev, Yu. M., Veer, F. A., Soroka, O. B., & Shabetya, O. A. (2018). Structural strength of heat-strengthened glass. Strength of Materials, vol. 50, iss. 4, pp. 584–596. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-018-0004-8.
- Veer, F. A. & Rodichev, Y. M. (2017). Improving the engineering strength of heat strengthened glass. Heron, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 121–138.
- Mazzoldi, P., Carturan, S., Quaranta, A., Sada, C., & Sglavo, V. М. (2013). Ion exchange process: History, evolution and applications. Rivista del nuovo cimento, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 397–450. https://doi.org/10.1393/ncr/i2013-10092-1.
- Sglavo, V. M. (2015). Chemical strengthening of soda lime silicate float glass: Effect of small differences in the KNO3 bath. International Journal of Applied Glass Science, vol. 6, iss. 1, pp. 73–82. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijag.12101.
- Butayev, A. M. (1997). Prochnost stekla. Ionoobmennoye uprochneniye [Glass strength. Ion exchange hardening]. Makhachkala, 130 p. (in Russian).
- Bartenev, M. (1966). Stroyeniye i mekhanicheskiye svoystva neorganicheskikh stekol [Structure and mechanical properties of inorganic glasses]. Moscow: Izdatelstvo literatury po stroitelstvu, 216 p. (in Russian).
- (1999). ASTM C1422-99. Standard specification for chemically strengthened flat glass. West Conshohocken, PA, 3 р.
- Schiavonato, M., Mognato, E., & Redner A. S. (2005). Stress measurement, fragmentation and mechanical strength. Glass Processing Days: 9th International Conference on Architectural and Automotive Glass, Tampere, Finland, 17–20 June 2005, pp. 92–95.
- Broyek, D. (1980). Osnovy mekhaniki razrusheniya [Fundamentals of fracture mechanics]. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola, 386 p. (in Russian).
- Shulzhenko, N., Gontarovskiy, P., Garmash, N., & Melezhik, I. (2018) Design forecasting of thermal strength and resource of steam turbine structural components. Journal of Mechanical Engineering – Problemy Mashynobuduvannia, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 38–46. https://doi.org/10.15407/pmach2018.03.038.
- Shulzhenko, M.G., Gontarowsky, P.P. & Melezhyk, I.I. (2005). Raschet treshchinostoikosti elementov konstruktsii metodom konechnykh elementov [Calculation of fracture toughness of structural elements by the finite element method]. Vestnik NTU “KhPI”. Ser. Dinamika i prochnost mashin – NTU “KhPI” Bulletin. Series: Dynamics and Strength of Machines, iss. 21, pp. 127–132 (in Russian).
Received 26 July 2021
Published 30 September 2021