|Journal||Journal of Mechanical Engineering|
|Publisher||A. Podgorny Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
National Academy of Science of Ukraine
|ISSN||0131-2928 (Print), 2411-0779 (Online)|
|Issue||Vol 21, No 2, 2018 (June)|
Yu. G. Stoyan, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU, Kharkiv, Ukraine, e-mail: email@example.com
A. M. Chugay, A. Podgorny Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU, Kharkiv, Ukraine, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This paper deals with the optimization problem of packing a given set of homothetical arbitrarily oriented convex polytopes without their overlapping in a linear parallelepiped of minimal volume. Phi-functions are proposed to be used as a constructive means of the mathematical modeling of a given problem. On the basis of the phi-function a mathematical model of the problem is constructed for two convex non-oriented polytopes, and its main properties which influence the choice of the strategy for solving the problem are examined. The obtained mathematical model presents the problem in the form of a classical problem of nonlinear programming, which makes it possible to use modern solvers for searching for a solution. Effective methods for finding valid starting points and locally optimal solutions based on homothetic transformations are proposed. To search for local extrema of the formulated optimization problems, a special method of decomposition has been developed, which allows us to significantly reduce computational costs due to a considerable reduction in the number of inequalities. The key idea of the optimization procedure allows us to generate subsets of the domain of admissible solutions at each stage of searching for a local extremum. Parallel computations were used to search for local extrema, which made it possible to reduce time expenditures. Numerical examples are given. The methods proposed in the work can be used for solving the problem of packaging convex polytopes.
Keywords: packing, homothetic polytopes, rotations, optimization, phi-functions
Full text: Download in PDF
- Petrov, M. S., Gaidukov, V. V., Kadushnikov, R. M. (2004). Numerical Method for Modeling the Microstructure of Granular. Materials Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, No. 43 (7–8), pp. 330–335.
- Wang, Y., Lin, C. L., Miller, J. D. (2016). 3D Image Segmentation for Analysis of Multi-Size Particles in a Packed Particle Bed. Powder Technology, No. 301, pp. 160–168.
- Verkhoturov, M., Petunin, A., Verkhoturova, G., Danilov, K., Kurennov, D. (2016). The 3D Object Packing Problem into a Parallelepiped Container Based on Discrete-Logical Representation. IFAC-PapersOnLine, No. 49(12), pp. 1–5.
- Karabulut, K. A., İnceoğlu, M. (2004). Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for Packing in 3D with Deepest Bottom Left with Fill Method. Advances in Inform. Systems, No. 3261, pp. 441–450.
- Cao, P., Fan, Z., Gao, R., Tang, J. (2016). Complex Housing: Modeling and Optimization Using an Improved Multi-Objective Simulated Annealing Algorithm. Proc. ASME, No. 60563, V02BT03A034.
- Guangqiang, L. A., Fengqiang, Z., Rubo, Z., Du, Jialu, Chen, G.,Yiran, Z. (2016). Parallel Particle Bee Colony Algorithm Approach to Layout Optimization. J. Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, No. 13(7), pp. 4151–4157.
- Torczon, V., Trosset, M. (1998). From Evolutionary Operation to Parallel Direct Search: Pattern Search Algorithms for Numerical Optimization. Computing Sci. and Statistics, No. 29, pp. 396–401.
- Birgin, E. G., Lobato, R. D., Martіnez, J. M. (2016). Packing Ellipsoids by Nonlinear Optimization. J. Global Optimization, No. 65, pp. 709–743.
- Stoyan, Y., Pankratov, A., Romanova, T. (2016). Quasi-Phi-Functions and Optimal Packing of Ellipses. J. Global Optimization, No. 65 (2), pp. 283–307.
- Fasano, G. A. (2013). Global Optimization Point of View to Handle Non-Standard Object Packing Problems. J. Global Optimization, No. 55(2), pp. 279 –299.
- Egeblad, J. Nielsen, B. K., Brazil, M. (2009). Translational Packing of Arbitrary Polytopes. Computational Geometry: Theory and Appl., No. 42(4), pp. 269–288.
- Liu, X., Liu, J., Cao, A., Yao, Z. (2015). HAPE3D – a New Constructive Algorithm for the 3D Irregular Packing Problem. Frontiers of Information Techn. & Electronic , No. 16(5), pp. 380–390.
- Youn-Kyoung, Joung, Sang, Do Noh (2014). Intelligent 3D Packing Using a Grouping Algorithm for Automotive Container Engineering. J. Computational Design and , No. 1(2), pp. 140–151.
- Kallrath, J. (2016). Packing Ellipsoids into Volume-Minimizing Rectangular Boxes. J. Global Optimization, No. 67 (1–2), pp. 151–185.
- Stoyan, Y. G., Chugay, A. M. (2014). Packing Different Cuboids with Rotations and Spheres into a Cuboid. Advances in Decision Sci. Available at https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ads/2014/571743 .
- Stoyan, Y. G., Semkin, V. V., Chugay, A. M. (2016). Modeling Close Packing of 3D Objects. Cybernetics and Systems Analysis, No. 52(2), pp. 296–304.
- Pankratov, O., Romanova T., Stoyan Y., Chuhai, A. (2016). Optimization of Packing Polyhedra in Spherical and Cylindrical Containers. Eastern European J. Enterprise Techn., Vol. 1, No. 4(79), pp. 39–47.
- Stoyan, Y., Yaskov, G. (2014). Packing Unequal Circles into a Strip of Minimal Length with a Jump Algorithm. Optimization Letters, No. 8(3), pp. 949–970.
- Stoyan, Y. G., Chugay, A.M. (2016). Mathematical Modeling of the Interaction of Non-Oriented Convex Polytopes. Cybernetic Systems Analysis, 2012, No. 48, pp. 837–845.
Received: 17 January 2018