|Journal||Journal of Mechanical Engineering – Problemy Mashynobuduvannia|
|Publisher||A. Pidhornyi Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
National Academy of Science of Ukraine
|ISSN||2709-2984 (Print), 2709-2992 (Online)|
|Issue||Vol. 24, no. 1, 2021 (March)|
|Cited by||J. of Mech. Eng., 2021, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 13-27|
Serhii V. Yershov, Self-employed researcher (Oulu, Finland), e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0002-2937-1337
Viktor A. Yakovlev, A. Pidhornyi Institute of Mechanical Engineering Problems of NASU (2/10, Pozharskyi St., Kharkiv, 61046, Ukraine), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0002-6174-3022
The question of the difference mesh refinement degree influence on the results of calculation of the three-dimensional viscous gas flows in the flow parts of turbomachines using the RANS flow models and second order numerical methods is considered. Calculations of flows for a number of turbine and compressor grids on successively refining grids have been performed. We used H-type grids with approximate orthogonalization of cells in the boundary layer. The calculations were carried out using a CFD solver F with the use of an implicit ENO scheme of the second order, a local time step, and a simplified multigrid algorithm. When calculating the flow on fine grids, the following were used: convergence acceleration tools implemented in the solver; truncation of the computational domain with subsequent distribution of the results based on the symmetry property; the computational domain splitting into parts and computations parallelizing. Comparison of the obtained results is carried out, both in terms of qualitative resolution of the complex structure of three-dimensional flows, and in terms of quantitative assessment of losses. Grid convergence was estimated in two ways. In the first, the characteristic two-dimensional distributions of parameters obtained on different grids were visually compared. The purpose of such comparisons was to evaluate the sufficient degree of solution of both the general structure of the flow in grids and its features, namely, shock waves, contact discontinuities, separation zones, wakes, etc. The second estimation method is based on the grid convergence index (GCI). The GCI calculated from the three-dimensional density field was considered in this paper. It is concluded that for scientific research requiring high accuracy of calculations and detailing of the structure of a three-dimensional flow, very fine difference meshes with the number of cells from 106 to 108 in one blade-to-blade channel are needed, while for engineering calculations, under certain conditions, it is sufficient to use meshes with the number of cells less than 1 million in one blade-to-blade channel.
Keywords:turbomachinery cascades, CFD, 3D RANS simulation, viscous compressible flow, grid convergence index, kinetic energy losses.
Full text: Download in PDF
- Hirsch, C. (2007). Numerical computation of internal and external flows: The fundamentals of computational fluid dynamics. Elsevier, Butterworth-Heinemann, 680 p. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-7506-6594-0.X5037-1.
- ERCOFTAC: Official website, 2020. URL: https://www.ercoftac.org.
- CFD Online: Official website, 2020. URL: https://www.cfd-online.com.
- Rautaheimo, P., Salminen, E., & Siikonen, T. (2003). Numerical simulation of the flow in the NASA low-speed centrifugal compressor. International Journal of Turbo and Jet Engines, vol. 20, iss. 2, pp. 155–170. https://doi.org/10.1515/TJJ.2003.20.2.155.
- Diskin, B., Thomas, J., Rumsey, C. L., & Schwoeppe, A. (2015). Grid convergence for turbulent flows (Invited). Proceeding of the 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Kissimmee, Florida, USA, AIAA Paper 2015-1746, 50 p. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2015–1746.
- Gerolymos, G. A., Tsanga, G., & Vallet, I. (1998). Near-wall k-e computation of transonic turbomachinery flows with tip clearance. AIAA Journal, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1769–1777. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.275.
- Duchaine, F., Maheu, N., Moureau, V., Balarac, G., & Moreau, S. (2014). Large-eddy simulation and conjugate heat transfer around a low-mach turbine blade. Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 136, iss. 5, pp. 051015-051025. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4025165.
- Prikhodko, A. A. & Polevoy, O. B. (2004). K raschetu prostranstvennykh turbulentnykh otryvnykh techeniy [On the calculation of spatial turbulent separated flows]. Aerogidrodinamika: problemy i perspektivy – Aerohydrodynamics: problems and prospects. Kharkov: National Aerospace University ″Kharkiv Aviation Institute″, pp. 73–87 (in Russian).
- Su, X., Yamamoto, S., & Yuan, X. (2013). On the accurate prediction of tip vortex: Effect of numerical schemes. Proc. of the ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, San Antonio, TX, USA, ASME Paper GT2013-94660, 15 p. https://doi.org/10.1115/GT2013-94660.
- Roache, P. J. (1994). Perspective: A method for uniform reporting of grid refinement studies. Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 116, iss. 3, pp. 405–413. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2910291.
- Roache, P. J. (1997). Quantification of uncertainty in computational fluid dynamics. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 29, pp. 123–160. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fluid.29.1.123.
- Hemez, F. M. & Tippetts, T. B. (2007). Successes and failures of verifying the convergence of discrete solutions. IMAC-XXV: Proceedings of the Conference & Exposition on Structural Dynamics, Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 1686–1698.
- Yershov, S. V. & Yakovlev, V. A. (2015). O vybore stepeni izmelcheniya setki pri raschetakh trekhmernykh techeniy vyazkogo gaza v turbomashinakh [On the choice of the degree of mesh refinement when calculating three-dimensional viscous gas flows in turbomachines]. Vestnik dvigatelestroyeniya – Herald of Aeroenginebuilding, no. 2, pp. 171–177 (in Russian).
- Menter, F. R. (1994). Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications. AIAA Journal, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1598–1605. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12149.
- Yershov, S., Yakovlev, V., Derevyanko, A., Gryzun, M., & Kozyrets, D. (2012). The development of new CFD solver for 3D turbomachinery flow computations. Cieplne Maszyny Przepływowe. Turbomachinery, Politechnika Łódzka, Łódź, Poland, no. 141, pp. 15–24.
- Yershov, S. V. (2012). Razvitiye kompleksa programm dlya rascheta trekhmernykh techeniy vyazkogo gaza [Development of a software package for calculating three-dimensional viscous gas flows]. Aviatsionno-kosmicheskaya tekhnika i tekhnologiya – Aerospace Technic and Technology, no. 5(92), pp. 89–94 (in Russian).
- Yershov, S. V. (1994). Kvazimonotonnaya ENO skhema povyshennoy tochnosti dlya integrirovaniya uravneniy Eylera i Navye–Stoksa [Quasimonotone ENO scheme of increased accuracy for integrating the Euler and Navier – Stokes equations]. Matematicheskoye modelirovaniye – Mathematical Models and Computer Simulations, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 63–75 (in Russian).
- Grizun, M. N. & Yershov, S. V. (2013). Chislennoye modelirovaniye mnogomernykh szhimayemykh techeniy s pomoshchyu metoda Nyutona [Numerical modeling of multidimensional compressible flows using Newton’s method]. Vestnik NTU «KHPI». Seriya: Energeticheskiye i teplotekhnicheskiye protsessy i oborudovaniye – Bulletin of the NTU “KhPI”. Series: Power and Heat Engineering Processes and Equipment, no. 13, pp. 38–46 (in Russian).
- Frink, N. T. (1996). Assessment of an unstructured-grid method for predicting 3-D turbulent viscous flows. Proceedings of the AIAA 34th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, USA, AIAA Paper 96‑0292, 12 p. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.1996-292.
- Yershov, S., Derevyanko, A., Yakovlev, V., & Gryzun, M. (2016). Influence of laminar-turbulent transition on 3D flow pattern in subsonic turbine cascade. Proceedings of the 2016 Propulsion and Energy Forum. 52nd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Salt-Lake-City, UT, USA, AIAA Paper 2016-4552, 17 p. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2016-4552.
- Yershov, S. & Yakovlev, V. (2016). Validation of the PTM transition model on a 3D flow through a turbine cascade. in IMECE 2016: Proceedings of the ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Phoenix, AZ, USA, IMECE, 2016-65001, 11 p. https://doi.org/10.1115/IMECE2016-65001.
- Celik, I. B., Ghia, U., Roache, P. J., Freitas, C. J., Coleman, H., & Raad, P. E. (2008). Procedure for estimation and reporting of uncertainty due to discretization in CFD applications. Journal of Fluids Engineering (Special Publication), vol. 130, no 7, pp. 078001-1–078001-4. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2960953.
- Denton, J. (1993). Loss mechanisms in turbomachines. Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 115, iss. 4, pp. 621–656. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2929299.
- Ubaldi, M., Zunino, P., Campora, U., & Ghiglione, A. (1996). Detailed velocity and turbulence measurements of the profile boundary layer in a large scale turbine cascade. Proceedings of the International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exhibition, Birmingham, UK, ASME 96-GT-42, 14 p. https://doi.org/10.1115/96-GT-042.
- Cicatelli, G. & Sieverding, C. H. (1997). The effect of vortex shedding on the unsteady pressure distribution around the trailing edge of a turbine blade. Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 810–819. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2841192.
- Granovskiy, A. V. (2011). Razrabotka metodov povysheniya gazodinamicheskoy effektivnosti vysokonagruzhennykh stupeney okhlazhdayemykh gazovykh turbin [Development of methods for increasing the gas-dynamic efficiency of highly loaded stages of cooled gas turbines]: Thesis for the doctor of science degree in engineering. Moscow: Moscow Power Engineering Institute (in Russian).
- Transition Location Effect on Shock Wave Boundary Layer Interaction: Official website, 2020. URL: http://tfast.eu.
- Papazov, S. V., Yakovlev, V. A., & Yershov, S. V. (2014). Chislennoye modelirovaniye techeniya v kompressornoy reshetke v shirokom diapazone rezhimov obtekaniya [Numerical simulation of a flow in a compressor lattice in a wide range of flow regimes]. Problemy mashinostroyeniya – Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 3–9 (in Russian).
Received 23 February 2021
Published 30 March 2021